Julie and I met whilst we were both living at the same place, during a magical time in Kauai. It was just after the new year and we were both in our own transition time, integrating the intense wisdom and healing powers of the islands and our own inner processes. She brought with her a strong sense of adventure. She had just left the big island of Hawaii where she had been exploring the creations of Pele, the volcanoes, which was very exciting to talk about! We shared in conversation and I learned that we had common interests and passions in travel, wild nature, astrology, the Bay Area and yoga! I enjoyed our conversations and sharing time “on the mat” at Metamorphose Yoga studio and at one of my favorite places on planet Earth, the beach! Julie is a tremendous human resource for entrepreneurs and I am thrilled to share her inspirations with you here. Thank you Julie!
- I get to weave my passions into my work. I’m nature obsessed. I want everyone to slow down. I am passionate about people nourishing themselves first (please put your own oxygen mask on before assisting others!). This is reflected in the way I run my business and the way I teach and coach others how to run theirs. It feels amazing to do it my way.
- I get to create my own schedule. I don’t work before 10AM! Mornings are for self-care. I clump all my clients together so that I have large chunks of time to focus on other kinds of work or simply to get outside and have fun. I can often schedule my work around my vacations instead of scheduling my vacations around my work.
- I get to choose my strategy and tactics. I don’t have to do things I don’t like. I do work hard, but it’s toward a vision that I have created that feels authentically me and aligned with my purpose. I get to be myself in my business, not put on airs or shows, nor use weird or sleazy marketing tactics. I know that being me is the best way to attract the kinds of clients I actually want to work with, not trying to be someone or something else.
- I get to sit on my comfy couch and look out over the beautiful bay and the redwoods while I’m on the phone with my clients. And I get to wear whatever I want while I’m doing this. And cook healthy food for myself at lunchtime.
- I get to work with ridiculously inspiring people. My clients are doing such beautiful work in the world, with so much integrity. They are an inspiration to me and call me to task too… I am constantly learning and improving my own skills so I can serve them and their visions better.
- My business evolves as I evolve. I see business as cyclical, not linear. We travel around the wheel many times, and we learn and grow with each pass. As I change, my business changes with me… my mission is not set in stone, I get to take whatever classes I want and welcome their influence on the way I work, the messages I send, and the impact I have. My business is so different from when it started, and I know it will continue to evolve as I do.
- It’s great fodder for personal growth. I get to be at my edge, constantly. Truthfully, this is not always fun. Things are sometimes up and down in the life of a business, and it requires a lot of trust, courage and self-compassion. I’m working on it with all my clients, and working on it in myself too. There is a continual balancing act in my life and business, and I am regularly faced with my fears, insecurities, and areas where I need to grow.
- I can help friends out in the middle of the day. That was pretty hard when I had a “job job.” But now, if a friend needs a ride to the airport at 2PM, there’s a chance I can actually do it! More broadly speaking, I have more time to support and connect with the people I care about and love the most. Yay!
- I get to create my dream retreat and then invite cool women to it. If I want to mix business strategy with hot tubs and seasonal foods and chocolate and red wine in the redwoods in winter, then that’s what I get to do! Wanna come??
- I get to live out my purpose… Helping other people create all of this for themselves! I love putting structure around a vision, in fact, I pretty much do it in my sleep. It’s such a deep pleasure to be able to support others using the gifts that come so naturally to me. I feel most on purpose when I am supporting others to be on their purpose, and making the money they need to support their lives, their families, and their dreams.
Julie Wolk helps mission-driven entrepreneurs (teachers, consultants, coaches, healers, and other service professionals) who are excellent at their craft, really rock the business side, so they can thrive. She developed the Natural Business Cycle, a unique and overwhelm-reducing business development model based on the natural world. She co-founded and for many years co-directed a thriving nonprofit organization (Wilderness Torah) and worked for 10 years prior to that in environmental advocacy and public relations. Julie is a certified professional coach and spends a lot of time wandering in the East Bay hills.
Learn more at: http://www.juliewolkcoaching.com/